Today, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or chronic acid reflux is a digestive health condition that affects millions of people in the UK. The best way to treat GERD symptoms is by using the best acid reflux tablets, such as Omeprazole 10 mg tablets and Lansoprazole 20 mg. If your chronic acid reflux symptoms aren’t treated quickly, however, they may end up permanently damaging your oesophagus.
In the rest of this post, Ashcroft Pharmacy wants you to understand how to use Lansoprazole 20 mg tablets the right way.
What exactly is chronic acid reflux?
Acid reflux is a digestive disease that leads to heartburn. Heartburn is a burning sensation that occurs when acid content in your stomach back washes up into the oesophagus. Occasional acid reflux is normal and can happen to anybody. Certain foods, which could be fatty, spicy or acidic, can trigger this condition.
As earlier mentioned, when acid reflux is left untreated, it can always lead to serious health conditions. For instance, over time, this disease can damage the tissue lining the oesophagus, leading to inflammation and pain. Untreated GERD may also damage the food lining (oesophagus) permanently.
To avoid complications with your reflux disease, you need to visit your doctor as soon as you start experiencing the following symptoms:
- Burning sensation in the chest
Your doctor will most likely recommend some of the best acid reflux tablets, such as Lansoprazole 20 mg.
What exactly is Lansoprazole 20 mg?
Lansoprazole 20 mg is a type of drug sold under the brand name Prevacid and a few others. This medication is categorized under the class of drugs, which is known as proton pump inhibitors (PPI).
Lansoprazole works like many other types of PPIs. This drug helps to block the gastric H, K-ATPase, thereby inhibiting the release of gastric acid. When used the right way, Lansoprazole can help to create GERD, peptic ulcers, Barrett’s oesophagus, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
What is the most effective way to use Lansoprazole?
For you to use your tablets the right way, below are some of the things you need to do:
- First, you need to take Lansoprazole 20 mg before a meal. For effective results, you can consider using this medication at least 30 minutes before taking your meal or snack.
- Ensure to use the full dose of this drug even if you already feel better after some days.
- The best time to use Lansoprazole tablets is in the morning for a one-time daily dose.
- If you must take this drug twice daily, the best thing to do is take 1 dose in the morning and 1 dose in the evening.
- Taking an overdose of lansoprazole may cause various common side effects, such as itchy skin rashes, headaches, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pain, and constipation.