“Ways of keeping up with positive mental health include: Getting proficient assistance assuming that you want it, Connecting with others, Staying positive, Getting active always, Helping others, getting sufficient rest, Developing adapting abilities.”
Regular medical checkups are important for your physical health, but are you also concerned about your mental health? Mental health checkups aren’t something we should do only when we’re having issues, anxious or stressed. This should be in our minds, putting more effort into improving it, just like physical health.
Having good mental health and well-being even helps reduce the risks of most physical health problems. In this blog today, we’ll have a look at some of the ways in which you can improve your mental health. But before we dive into that, let’s have a clue about mental health.
What Is Mental Health?
According to the World Health Organization, mental health “is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively and fruitfully, and contribute to his or her community”. It includes our psychological, emotional, and social well-being, which affects how we think, feel, and act as we cope with all life offers. Mental health also determines how we relate with others, make decisions, and handle stress.
Why Should I Care For Your Mental Health?
Mental health encompasses living a healthy life. It is a crucial part of our lives, impacting our thoughts, behaviours, and emotions. When you’re emotionally balanced and healthy, you’ll notice increased productiveness and effectiveness in most activities. Good mental health helps you in;
- Coping with the unending stresses of life
- Maintaining good relationships.
- Keeping a healthy body and mindset.
- Knowing your full potential.
What Are The Ways I Can Improve My Mental Health?
Improving your mental health entails attaining a state of total well-being. To attain this state, there are various things you can do. These include;
1. Always Remaining Positive
Your mindset is what shapes you. Everything will surely fall in place for you when you have a positive mindset. Some ways in which you can stay positive always include;
- Striking a balance between positive and negative emotions: As humans, we’re not 100% free from negativity as it’s part of us. We tend to feel negative emotions like sadness or anger at times. You need to feel them so you can move through difficult times. When you tackle them the first time, you’ll have a better clue of how to respond to that problem. In all these, you wouldn’t want them to take over your thoughts as it could be disastrous. Hoarding negativity most times hinders you from progressing onto the next phase of life.
- Hold on to positive emotions.
- Discard any source of negative information around you.
2. Proper care of your physical health
Your physical and mental health are related. You can’t be ill and expect positivity at all times. You’re keen to take proper care of your physical health to this effect. Doing this entails;
- Having enough sleep: Sleep affects both your mood and the functioning of your brain. You’ll look pale and easily provoked when you don’t get enough sleep. If this continues for some time, it leads to depression. So, it’s advised you create a proper sleeping schedule and get quality sleep each night.
- Good Foods: eating healthy foods will make you feel better physically and improve your mood. Studies have shown that when foods are deficient in some nutrients, the person is prone to be affected by certain illnesses. For instance, a deficiency in vitamin B12 leads to depression. Having a well-balanced meal aids in providing the essential nutrients needed by the body. Consider taking more fruits and vegetables, as some help lower blood pressure.
3. Daily Exercise
Exercise has proven to be a better alternative for dealing with stress and depression. It fills the mind with confidence while keeping the body in good shape.
4. Socialize more
Having a good relationship with others is important for your total well-being. Spend your time with family and friends each day. You can arrange a fixed time for you guys to have dinner together, or even go on a picnic. Make good use of technology to keep in touch with your family and friends. You can use video-chat apps like Skype or face time to get in touch when you’re far away.
You can broaden your scope and engage with your neighbourhood or community. You can choose to join a community team to play a sport you so love or even volunteer for a local organization.
5. Learn New Skills
As humans, the brain is always open to new ideas and can accommodate whatever is presented. Learning new skills has proven to be a good move to improving your mental well-being. It tends to boost your level of self-confidence and self-esteem. You can try cooking something new or making juice. Even a DIY project like fixing a chair or something else won’t be that bad. They’re lots of fun ideas out there that you can learn from today.
6. Give Gratitude
This entails being thankful for all the good things in life. It might be huge, like the support you get from loved ones, or it could be an amazing meal you enjoyed. Whatever it is, be appreciative. Try jotting down 5 things you’re always grateful for each day and see where it’ll take you.
Mental health is the general well-being of your thought process and control of your sentiments and act. Now and again, individuals experience an unsettling critical influence in this mental working. Try to consult your primary care doctor or make a meeting with a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health proficient.
With proper help, you can distinguish mental health conditions and get fitting treatment, like prescriptions or advice.